Thunderbird email client comes with various versions and is available for all major platforms. It is an open source client with support to POP, IMAP & SMTP.
There are situations when the user can’t send the email to the other end and will receive a message stating: “Thunderbird sending of message timed out”. The message could not be sent using SMTP server for an unknown reason.
This will create a problem for the user while sending the email.
What are the Possibilities of Thunderbird message failure error?
Message sending error in Thunderbird can be due to following reasons:
- While updating Thunderbird and configuring the current account profile, the following error can come.
- Antivirus update or Windows firewall blocked the sending of the emails by treating them as spyware or suspicious behaviour.
- Wrong selection of SMTP port while configuring SMTP Server settings.
- Connection Security is not set to SSL/TLS in the Server settings.
- ISPs/providers have been restricting port 25 when they "detect" virus/spam mailings.
Solution to Thunderbird Sending of Message Failure
Perform the following Troubleshooting tricks for solving the issue:
- Check whether Thunderbird is using the proxy for the connection through any Antivirus application.
- Check the settings for SMTP Server and its assigned port.
- Figure out whether the Antivirus or Windows firewall is blocking the Thunderbird working by disabling them.
- Update the Thunderbird application to the latest version.
- Download Wireshark tool to check the network traffic when Thunderbird is trying to send the outgoing message.
- Try switching the Thunderbird SMTP Server configuration to secure/ssl, port 465 if port 587 doesn’t work.
Below is the sample setting configuration for Thunderbird
Secure SSL/TLS Settings (Recommended)
Username: Email address
Password: Use the email account’s password.
Incoming Server: secure174.servconfig.com
POP3 Port: 995
Outgoing Server: secure174.servconfig.com
SMTP Port: 465
Authentication is required for IMAP, POP3, and SMTP.
These are some of the tricks which can help the user to solve Thunderbird message sending failure issue.